Software Developers Information
This page is intended as a reference for software developers. Included for download are the specifications, regulations, forms, and layouts for Electronic filing, Magnetic Media, and 2D Barcoding.
*** Click here for a list of Rhode Island MeF limitations. -- Updated 04/07/2014
Links will be activated as forms become available
- 2014 MeF Business Schema Version 1.0 (zip file) - 12/08/2014
- 2014 MeF 1040 Schema Version 0.2 (zip file) - 12/08/2014
- 2014 PATS/ATS 1040 - 11/25/2014
- 2014 Business ATS - 12/30/2014
- 2008 E-File Handbook (1345)
- 2014 1040 2D Barcode Specifications RI-1040 - 11/21/2014 RI-1040NR - 11/21/2014
- 2014 1120 2D Barcode Specifications RI-1120C - RI-1120S - 01/20/2015
- 2014 1065 2D Barcode Specifications RI-1065 - 01/20/2015
- Magnetic Media Specifications - W-2 & 1099 filings
- Forms Specification for OCR - This information should be used only for scan line specs and CAR line specs. You must refer to each individual form listed below for address, artwork and other pertinent updates.
- You must submit 25 total vouchers when requesting scan line approval. If you are submitting quarterly estimated payment vouchers for the year, submit a total of 25, not 25 vouchers per quarter.
Vouchers submitted for scan line approval must be coupon sized when submitted. Do not submit full sheet of papers.
Please take note: Sending in full 8 1/2 x 11 sheets rather than coupon sized vouchers will delay the scan line approval and may result in the submissions being returned to the sender.
- Vouchers may be submitted at any time during the year for scan line approval ONLY (not form approval).
- 1D barcode specs - Updated 11/10/2014
- Grid versions of forms are provided for data placement use only. You must refer to the final form for anything other than data placement.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES - Forms, with the exception of voucher forms, may be submitted as a PDF via email.
- Forms with a 2D barcode:
- Use the same test scenarios as the MeF tests.
- Forms with a 1D barcode - Updated 12/05/2014:
- 1040 series - submit 1 blank form (no data, but with vendor specific barcode) and 1 filled form
- 1040C series - submit 1 blank form (no data, but with vendor specific barcode) and 1 filled form
- 1041 series - submit 1 blank form (no data, but with vendor specific barcode) and 1 filled form
- 1096 series - submit 1 blank form (no data, but with vendor specific barcode) and 1 filled form
- Business forms - submit 1 blank form (no data, but with vendor specific barcode) and 1 filled form
- Compliance & Collections forms - submit 1 blank form (no data, but with vendor specific barcode) and 1 header-only filled form
- Miscellaneous forms - submit 1 blank form (no data, but with vendor specific barcode) and 1 header-only filled form
- All other forms:
- For vouchers with an OCR scanline: See above guidelines under "Forms Specification for OCR"
- For vouchers with a 1D barcode - Use posted grid. Submit 1 blank form and 1 filled form. You do not need to submit 25 samples of these vouchers.
FINAL VERSIONS - Updated 02/17/2015
White Mail grid - Use the grid positions for any form identified below as white mail
1040 Series - Updated 02/17/2015
Bank Deposits, Bank Excise, Insurance, Publice Service and Surplus Lines Series - Updated 01/31/2015
The following forms will not be updated for tax year 2014:
1040C Series - Updated 01/16/2015
- RI-1040C-NE - Not year specific - will not be updated for 2014.
1041 Series - Updated 02/09/2015
1096PT Series - Posted 01/31/2015
Corporate Series - Updated 02/07/2015
Credit Forms - Updated 01/31/2015
Estate Tax Forms - Posted 01/29/2015
- HCP-4 - Hospital Licensing Fee - Posted 06/20/2014
Sales and Excise - Real Estate
- CVYT-1 - Conveyance Tax - new rate effective July 1, 2014 - Posted 06/20/2014
Compliance & Collections forms - Updated 01/23/2015
- RI-9465 - Installment Agreement Request - Posted 01/23/2015 - use White Mail grid
Miscellaneous forms - Updated 01/23/2015
- RI-2848 - Power of Attorney - Posted 01/23/2015 - use White Mail grid
- RI-4292 - Application for Award of Litigation Expenses - Posted 01/23/2015 - use White Mail grid
DRAFT VERSIONS - Updated 02/17/2015
Please note: Draft versions cannot be submitted for approval prior to being posted as final.
Voucher forms with a scanline may be submitted for scanline approval ONLY prior to being posted as final.
Voucher forms must still be submitted for form approval once posted as final.
1040 Series - Updated 02/17/2015
Compliance & Collections forms - Updated 01/14/2015
- RI-656 - Offer in Compromise - Posted 11/10/2014 - use White Mail grid